Tuesday, December 6, 2011

You get a car! And you get a car! And you get a car!

Not really but I am being a little Oprah-ish today; I am going to share with you some of my favourite things.

This is the time of the year where people are scrambling to find The Perfect Gift, Something Unique, Something Awesome (sorry gals, The Mister is already taken!). It is also the time, as the gift receiver, we cringe as we struggle to think of a response to the question, "What do you want for Christmas?" There are things that I love, thoughtful, beautiful and inexpensive things I love to receive ... maybe my little list will trigger an idea for a Little Something Special for that Little Someone Special on your gift list this year.

1. Christmas Socks! I love, love, love Christmas socks! Nothing spreads the joy of the holiday season more than festive hosiery. I defy anyone to put on a pair of Santa socks and not feel a little happier. The fact is you can't help but smile when you look at the brightly coloured be-socked ankles poking out from under dress pants.

Give that Special Someone a basket full of Christmas socks and I guarantee that you will be giving the gift of joy!

2. A DIY emergency kit for your purse. A friend shared this idea with me and I thought it was stellar. Most of us have extra make-up bags kicking around the house, those gift with purchase bags that cosmetic companies give out. Take one of those and fill it with all those things you wish you had in your purse but somehow never do; things like Kleenex, safety pins, band aids, chap stick, hand lotion, q-tips and a pen. You can also add in items like a small pocket knife, a wee note pad, an extra pair of earrings, a lipstick or make up business cards with your Someone Special's email address on it.

3. Books! I love books! Old books, new books, note books and journals ... books of all kinds! To me, nothing is as personal as giving a book. I love receiving books that are favourites of The Giver, that bring back childhood memories or that have beautiful covers. Hunt through thrift stores or used book stores and find a stack of beautiful old books or a collection of childhood favourites, tie them up with a bow and give the gift of words!

4. Board games. I know, it seems crazy and a little old school but who doesn't have great memories of sitting around playing board games with friends (besides Mr. Awesome, he hates board games). Give Sorry!, Monopoly or Clue to your Special Someone with a bag of microwave popcorn, a couple packets of hot chocolate and a coupon for an evening of electronics-free fun!

5. Receiving gifts is great but knowing that the gift I am receiving is making someone's life a little easier is even better. I think gifts that give back are an excellent (and fun!) way to spread Good Cheer even farther.

Companies like Jolica and Ten Thousand Villages deal only in fair trade products that support artisans in third world countries. For a bit of whimsy check out Tough Girl Tutus where part of the proceeds go back into The unPrison Project that helps incarcerated women and their children. Another one of my favorites is The Pink Ribbon Store.

Think outside the box this year and give A Little Something that means A Little Something More.

The heart of the giver makes the gift dear and precious.
~Martin Luther King Jr.

No comments: